Sunday, February 8, 2015

10 Questions for Brad Go of The HUSH Project

Brad Go is a Filipino-American singer-songwriter. Since graduating from New York University in 2008, the hyphenate artist has been working as a freelance video editor and director while pursuing his passion for music, playing clubs in downtown New York. In 2012, he embarked on a Kickstarter-funded trip of discovery that took him everywhere from Barcelona to Singapore, from Berlin to Manila. The life-changing journey resulted in the making of the studio album, The Hush Project, a self-penned, self-produced collection of “love songs inspired by love stories around the world.”


The Hush Project, on MCA Music (Universal Music Philippines), came out February 2, 2015. The album features production by Ferdie Marquez, Eren Cannata and Brad himself.

A predominantly pop rock album consisting of nine self-penned songs, each inspired by a specific place and aspect of love, The Hush Project is is the culmination of Brad's trip around the world in search of the most compelling and unique real-life love stories.

The Hush Project opens with “All Along,” a veritable pop opus that plays up Brad's singer-songwriter sensibilities and musical leanings, setting the tone for the emotional roller-coaster ride that listeners are in for. This is followed by “I Want You Now,” an arena-worthy confessional that showcases Brad's lower register. Then, “It's You” starts off sparse and shifts into an anthem with the introduction of lush instrumentation while the ballad “Follow Through” builds over an acoustic guitar.

Midway through the album is “Firestarter,” a change of pace that infuses guitar-based rock elements with elecropop beats. The throwback track “Feel This Way” immediately follows, recalling the dramatic piano melodies of '90s pop rock. Meanwhile, “Love Is Love” is a straightforward composition layered over synthesized finger snaps and percussion sounds. The penultimate cut is the slow-burning “Time Machine,” a stripped down singer-songwriter moment filled with heartfelt sincerity.

At the bottom end is the bonus track “Carry You Home”, a breezy production tailor-made for road-trip playlists that also aptly summarizes the physical and emotional journey of making the album.

How did you get started in music?

“I’ve always been a creative, artistic person but my journey towards becoming a musician began in 2005 when I decided to drop out of an Aerospace Engineering program, and eventually transfer to New York University to study film. After graduating, I got a job working in post production as a video editor—but after a few years, grew tired of it and found myself wanting to do more music—so I got a band together and started performing in New York City. But eventually, that got old too. I realized I was one of many people trying to make it and wanted to make a change.”

Have you always been musical?

“I started singing when I was 4 or 5, using the tape-deck karaoke machine my family owned. As I grew up though, my voice got shy. I didn’t start singing in public again until I was in college, when I joined a cover band.”

How's life in New York?

“When I first arrived in New York in 2008, there was this overwhelming sense of awe and inspiration that washed over me. I felt as if I could do anything. But the city demands a certain level of grit and determination just to get your feet off the ground. At my first job, I had to live in a tiny box apartment in Brooklyn and sacrifice other expenses, like food and a social life, in order to pay my rent. I know that sounds bad, but it wasn’t terrible.”

Who are your musical influences?

“A lot of my musical influences come from what my parents where karaoke-ing as I was growing up.  My dad is a huge Elvis fan, and my mom really loves the Carpenters. I love the classics—Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Earth Wind & Fire, almost anything Motown. When I was in high school I listened to a lot of Beatles, Ben Folds, Jason Mraz, and Michelle Branch.”

How would you describe your musical style/genre?

“I would call it singer/songwritery pop rock. Think early Maroon 5 meets Elton John.”

Describe your songwriting process.

“Songwriting is a process that consumes every aspect of my life. I usually start with an idea, be it a lyric or a melody of some kind, and then I’ll kick that around in my head for a couple days and record any ideas on my phone. When I feel like I have enough material to start crafting the song, I’ll lock myself in my room, burn a lot of incense, turn the lights down extremely low and just start improvising on the guitar and singing whatever comes to mind. I’ll remember the good parts and then build on those until it’s done. But it usually takes a few days. I’ll often wake up in the middle of the night and have to record a line or melody on my phone really quick, and then try to fall asleep again. Most of my ideas come at the most inconvenient times.”

What's the inspiration behind The Hush Project?

“While walking home from work late one night in September of 2012, I met a girl. It was raining, and she didn’t have an umbrella so I offered to share mine. We eventually started dating, and although it didn’t work out, I was inspired to travel around the world in search of incredible love stories to use as inspiration for my album, while also filming the experience in hopes of creating a documentary. Traveling around certainly wasn’t cheap, but it was well worth the experience.”

What was it like traveling the world and meeting all these people and hearing of their love stories?

“It was the most incredible adventure I could have asked for, and it all went by so quickly.  Touching down in each new country was such a rush, especially when I didn’t know where my interview would come from. On top of the excitement of being in a new place, there was the thrill of trying to find a person receptive to the project and willing to share their story. Those interviews really offered me a chance to share some truly happy moments with people.  I loved watching everyone’s face light up as they shared their stories.”

What's one important lesson that you took away from the experience?

“Be mindful of the people you surround yourself with, and treasure those who are in your life right now. So often people can get caught up in planning the next move or goal and can forget that life is not something you look forward to; it’s all happening right now. And to the single people out there, realize that love can’t make it’s way in until you truly open yourself to it in the present moment.”


Now that the album is out, what are your plans moving forward?

“I’m excited to get out there and play shows to promote the album here in the Philippines and abroad, and I’m hoping the album’s release will give me an opportunity to travel again. Other than that, I am excited to start writing my next album and further develop my catalog as a 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Filipino electronic music producer crwn marks career milestone with debut album “Séance”

The album also features collaborations with Nadine Lustre, Jess Connelly, Curtismith, Jason Dhakal and more! Photo by Renzo Navarro  crwn’s ...