Monday, August 8, 2016

MMA Champ Mark Striegl Is Proudly Pinoy!

Despite his German-sounding surname and prominent Oriental features, top-ranking MMA fighter Mark “Mugen” Striegl is very much Filipino, and proud of it.

Born and raised in Tokyo, Japan to an American father (from New York) and a Filipina mom (from Calapan, Oriental Mindoro), Mark credits his elder brother Frank for sparking his interest in combat sports.

He first dabbled in wrestling while in high school, and under his brother’s tutelage soaked up other fighting styles such as Aikido, Taekwondo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.


With his wrestling record of 77-1 during those formative years, Mark took a keen interest in fight sport, largely influenced by Pride Fighting Championship and K-1, prevalent during the era.

Fresh out of high school, he joined the Wajutsu Keisyukai Gods dojo. It was there where he honed his fighting chops and cut his teeth in some of the city’s amateur competitions.

When his family moved to San Diego, California during his college years, Mark trained at Victory MMA, and shuttled regularly between San Diego and Tokyo, keeping his loyalty to his Wajutsu “home.”

Mark turned pro in San Diego in 2009, and has since chalked up 14 wins and 2 losses – the most recent one against Reese McLaren at the One Championship Spirit of Champions fight last December 11, 2015.

Asked to describe his fighting style, Mark explains, “I’m a very aggressive fighter. In all my 14 wins, I have 12 wins by submission.”

“Most of my opponents, I’ve climbed on their backs, choked them out, or got some kind of submission through a lock or maneuver. Whether I’m swinging or going for takedown, I’m very aggressive, in your face, explosive. I focus a lot on footwork and explosiveness. I’m a fast-twitch fighter,” he adds.

Proud of his Pinoy roots, Mark confesses to making that extra effort to wave the Filipino flag whenever he can.

“Definitely! Every chance I get!” he exclaims.

“Even though I’m American, I relate a lot more to my Filipino side. After college, I moved back to the Philippines. I moved up to Baguio on a whim. I’ve been living there for the past 5-6 years. So, I’m more Filipino than American.”

If he could have his way, Mark dreams of doing for MMA what his idol Manny Pacquiao did for boxing: plant the Filipino flag prominently in the MMA map, and score his first major bantamweight world title for the country.

In person, Mark comes across as a very persuasive personality. Glib, eloquent and even cocky to a certain extent, he swaggers with the same air of confidence that he puts on the moment he steps into the ring.

Some quarters have brought up his uncanny resemblance to Hollywood actor Mark Wahlberg, himself an athlete and fight fan. Acknowledging the likeness, he says, “Yeah, I get that a lot. Some people say I’m like an Asian Mark Wahlberg. Maybe it’s coz I talk through the side of my mouth sometimes. He’s a great actor.”

And speaking of acting, Mark doesn’t discount the possibility of pursuing a showbiz career.

He admits sheepishly, “Honestly, I would like to. I know it’s something I’d have to work at.”

Believe it or not, if he hadn’t turned out to be an MMA fighter, Mark would’ve ended up as a chef.

“When I was younger, I’d cook things from scratch,” he confesses. “My best dish? I focus mostly on healthy food and stews. When I’m done with fighting, I’d like to open my own café or restaurant.”

The food reference become even more obvious with a name like Team Buffet – Mark’s “official unofficial” fight team that he and his fighter friends set up in Baguio.

As a prominent figurehead in the MMA arena, Mark has had his share of brand endorsements, including a couple of sports apparel brands and a sports/energy drink.

Despite his “license to kill,” Mark humbly acknowledges that his lethal weapons – his deadly punches and kicks – have a higher purpose.

“I do believe in the power of martial arts, for self defense or just to grow as a person. I had too much energy as a kid. That’s why I got into martial arts.

“If anything, martial arts has taught me to be more cool and reserved, and I know that it takes more guts to be able to walk away from any fight,” he says with the Zen-like air of a revered kung-fu master.

So, what does the future hold for the enigmatic MMA fighter?

Take it from his monicker, “Mugen,” which means “limitless” in Japanese.

Mark Striegl is managed by ALV Talent Circuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jamie Foxx and Cameron Diaz star in BACK IN ACTION, premiering November 15

On Wednesday, May 15th at 1pm PT, Netflix debuted the first-look photos and launch date for its upcoming action film, Back in Action. The fi...